The Surface Science Facility offers cutting-edge surface analyzing instruments for academic and industrial researchers. The facility currently has three core instruments: (1) X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS) to measure the elemental composition, empirical formula, chemical state, and electronic state of sample surface; (2) time-of-flight secondary ion mass spectrometer (TOF-SIMS) to perform elemental trace measurements of the top atomic layers of the sample surface; and (3) atomic force microscopy (AFM) to image surface topography and stiffness with nanometer resolution in air and liquid environments. Typical applications include the research fields of semiconductor devices, synthetic chemistry, nano-materials, bio-materials, 2D materials, surface coating, and biology.
Complete the online application to become a user of this and other ASRC facilities.
PHI nanoTOF Mass Spectrometer ›PHI’s patented triple focusing time-of-flight (TRIFT) secondary ion mass spectrometer provides superior sensitivity and the unique ability to image highly topographic surfaces.
PHI Versaprobe II X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscope ›The core technology of the VersaProbe II is PHI’s patented, monochromatic, micro-focused, scanning x-ray source which provides excellent large area and superior micro-area spectroscopy performance.
Bruker Multimode 8 Atomic Force Microscope ›The Bruker MultiMode 8 AFM provides nano-meter surface topography imaging and pico-Newtown surface force measurement in both air and liquids.
One Time Training Charge
* Academic training includes only standard measurements on training samples.
** Industrial training includes academic training, preliminary measurements up to 2 user samples, and one advance training.
PDF invoices will be emailed to PIs on the 15th of each calendar month.
Invoices can be sent to additional personnel or separated by account on request. Please contact Celeste Ayala to adjust your invoicing instructions.
For CUNY PI’s with RF CUNY Accounts
One the second page of the invoice, CUNY PI’s with RF accounts must identify the accounts you wish to take funds out of for payment. You have the opportunity to split across RF accounts if you like.
Sign and return the invoice(s) via email to email@example.com or via fax to (212) 417-8567 for the funds to be transferred.
For Other PI’s
If paying by check:
Sign and mail the invoice(s) along with check payment to:
If paying by credit card:
Credit Card payments can be made online via the Research Foundation payment portal.
- Under Available Events, click the appropriate facility cost center you wish to pay against, for example:
- CUNY ASRC NanoFabrication Facility Use – RC-20160226-6046
- CUNY ASRC Nanoscience Imaging Facility Use – RC-20161004-6477
- CUNY ASRC Nanoscience Surface Science Facility Use – RC-20161007-0822
- In the pop-up window, click the radio button for Another Amount and enter the amount listed on the invoice.
- Add to the cart and proceed with the credit card payment
- Important Step: Email Tatyana Gun (Tatyana_Gun@rfcuny.org) your signed invoice and indicate that you have paid via online credit card.
Tracking Your Charges
PI’s can utilize Badger to view accumulated charges at any time. Review the Badger Instructions for PIs for more information on accessing this information.
Please contact Celeste Ayala with any questions regarding billing.
For more information, please contact:
Tai-De Li, Ph.D.
- Manager, Surface Science Facility
- Research Associate Professor, Nanoscience Initiative
Maya Narayanan Nair, Ph.D.
- Research Assistant Professor, Nanoscience Initiative
- Facility Staff, Nanofabrication Facility, Surface Science Facility