Professor Andrea Alù Receives IEEE Kiyo Tomiyasu Award

Andrea Alù in the ASRC lobby
Andrea Alù, founding director of the Photonics Initiative at the Advance Science Research Center at The Graduate Center, CUNY and Einstein Professor of Physics at The Graduate Center

ASRC Photonics Initiative Director Andrea Alù received the 2020 IEEE Kiyo Tomiyasu Award for his contributions to novel electromagnetic materials and their application.

The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers is the world’s largest technical professional organization focused on advancing technology for the benefit of humanity. The award recognizes outstanding early- to mid-career contributions to technologies likely to lead to innovative applications.

“I am truly honored to receive this technical field award from the IEEE society for our body of work on radio-wave, optical, and acoustic metamaterials,” Alù said. “I am thankful to my past and present group members and my colleagues and collaborators. I am excited to see that the engineering community at large recognizes our research activities as holding the promise of innovative applications in several areas of technology.”

Alù is known for his breakthroughs in metamaterials research, including his advances in cloaking, or making objects transparent to incoming electromagnetic signals.

Read the full article »