Developing a “whitepaper” for federal or non-profit grants
The focus of this Bootcamp will be conceptualizing your research to fit a specific federal funding agency or major non-profit sponsor (e.g., NSF, NIH, NEH, DOD, DOE, IES, Spencer, Simons, etc.) and writing a 1-3 page whitepaper or overview for discussing your idea with agency program officers.
Activities will include some lectures, homework assignments, and group discussions with constructive feedback on ideas and work-in-progress. Groups of no more than 8 faculty will meet for 2.5 hours a week.
The ASRC Bootcamp program is led by:
Linda Vigdor, M.F.A., Ph.D.
Associate Director of Proposal Development
Advanced Science Research Center
For more information, please contact: email@example.com
- Research active CUNY faculty who have not yet previously written & successfully submitted a grant proposal to a federal funding agency
- PIs with NIH funding who would like to learn how to reframe their research to fit NSF
- PIs interested in applying for the following NSF grants:
- Launching Early-Career Academic Pathways in the Mathematical and Physical Sciences (LEAPS-MPS)
- Building Research Capacity of New Faculty in Biology (BRC-BIO) program
- CUNY tenure track assistant professors who plan to apply for the ASRC’s NSF CAREER Bootcamp in 2023 and have not been the PI on a prior positively reviewed NSF proposal (not necessarily funded) and/or need to start conceptualizing their research and objectives
Completing this bootcamp may be a prerequisite for acceptance into the 2023 ASRC NSF CAREER bootcamp.
For those working on NSF LEAPS-MPS or BRC-BIO (due in January/December) there will be an option to continue the bootcamp to finish the proposal.
Bootcamp Format and Schedule
Bootcamps will meet on Zoom. Zoom video and proficiency with Dropbox are required.
2-3 groups will be formed, with participants assigned to a designated group (based on availabilities noted in the application).
We will meet the weeks of October 3, 10, 17, 24, 31; November 7, 14, 28; and December 5 (tentatively, December 12).
How to Apply
Applications for the Fall 2022 Grants 101 Bootcamp open August 22 and the deadline to apply is Wednesday, September 14 at 6:00 p.m. EST (NYC time)
Scheduling will proceed (via Doodle poll) after applications are received.